Interactive Designer - Mills College
|Company Name||Mills College (view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 26, 2017|
POSITION TITLE: Interactive Designer
Job Status: Exempt, full-time
Reports to: Director of Web Content
Summary of Position:
Under the supervision of the Director of Web Content, the Interactive Designer will be responsible for creating graphic designs for a wide range of digital communication platforms with a primary focus on websites and online advertising campaigns. The Interactive Designer uses photography, graphics, text, data, animation, video, and other digital and visual assets to communicate the Mills brand online. This newly created position will be integral to the development of a new marketing-driven responsive website designed to attract prospective students to the College while meeting strategic marketing objectives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Contribute strategic web design and development skills and expertise to marketing and communications projects, including designing prototypes, navigational schemes, graphical user interfaces, and design concepts using web conventions, CSS, and HTML.
- Create design concepts, mockups, templates, and other visual and graphical elements. Select, edit, and optimize photography for the web.
- Develop wireframes for mobile, tablet, laptop, and desktop interfaces.
- Monitor and manage daily website updates and visual content working in concert with marketing goals and approved approval processes.
- Leverage/integrate content from the College's and departmental social media platforms to help reinforce the college's brand identity and to tell the Mills story.
- Create and conduct usability tests to refine navigation, nomenclature, features, and functionality.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions, design presentations, and project status meetings.
- Be able to take direction and be willing to address constructive feedback.
- Effectively manage and meet multiple deadlines, prioritize work, keep projects moving forward, and work efficiently under pressure.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keep abreast of changing web design technology as it impacts marketing with the ability to recognize and adopt new strategies to the benefit of the College.
- Manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously under deadline pressure with a high level of attention to detail.
- Deliver on strategic goals while being flexible to switch gears as priorities change or opportunities arise.
- Interact effectively with all levels of a multicultural organization, demonstrating a strong team orientation, sophisticated interpersonal skills, and excellent follow through.
- Adhere to all communications and approval processes while working on the website so that all marketing and brand guidelines are followed.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Consumer-focused web and digital marketing communications best practices.
- Contemporary website design strategies, tactics, and implementation.
- Current and evolving social media platforms and website integration.
- Best practices for responsive web design.
- Online advertising campaign development, the importance of impactful calls-to-action, and measurement of results.
- Enterprise-wide content management software. Knowledge of OmniUpdate a plus.
- User Experience best practices.
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
- Microsoft Office Suite.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish relationships with individuals at all levels while creating designs to meet marketing objectives.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and ability to navigate complex, nuanced organizations.
- Ability to perform conceptual, template and wireframe work; ability to design digital interfaces.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to multi task on multiple projects, deadlines, and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into easy-to-understand visuals.
- Demonstrated ability to create web projects from conceptual development to finished product.
Education and Training:
- BA/BS degree in graphic design, fine arts, or a related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum 3-5 years' experience in interactive design.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours and using office equipment. The incumbent will often spend long hours on the computer which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Work location can vary and occasionally requires the need for quick mobility across campus several times a day in combination with stationary desk work.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Information to apply
Apply at: https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=79172
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, salary requirements, and the Mills College Application Form.
Review of candidates will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
There are no relocation funds for this position.