Senior Media Relations Specialist - Case Western Reserve University
|Company Name||Case Western Reserve University (view profile)|
|Date Posted||February 3, 2017|
The Senior Media Relations Specialist raises awareness of the university by finding and telling its most meaningful and exciting stories in compelling ways. The Senior Media Relations Specialist finds inspiration in the teaching, learning, research and discovery that takes place on university campuses, and savors opportunities to share the accomplishments and characteristics that make Case Western Reserve among the nation’s best institutions of higher education. The Senior Media Relations Specialist will accomplish these goals by engaging school and unit leaders and faculty, developing strong relationships with local and national media, and actively pitching and placing news and features about the university.
- Forge relationships with administrators, faculty and other individuals key to assigned beats (e.g. schools, centers, institutes, programs, etc.) to become knowledgeable about that unit’s activities, opportunities, and aspirations.
- Become familiar with leading ideas, emerging trends and other key aspects of the disciplines or subject areas within assigned beats; seek opportunities for individuals on assigned beats to contribute to larger issue or trend stories.
- Develop media relations strategies (including goals) for assigned beats that advance the goals of raising national awareness of the university and the unique strengths of the units and individuals within those beats. This strategy should include both targets for high-profile national placements as well as opportunities within local outlets.
- Serve as primary media contact for reporters and writers contacting the university for information and/or experts involving assigned beats.
- Provide information and guidance for faculty and other individuals participating in interviews and/or other media-related activities to enhance their ability to convey information in the most clear, engaging and accessible ways.
- Identify and develop news and feature stories on assigned beats that help raise awareness of the university and its many and diverse strengths.
- Identify and nurture relationships with leading journalists, writers, influencers and other members of the local and national media whose interests and expertise align with subjects and disciplines within assigned beats.
- Craft concise, creative pitches designed to appeal (in content and style) to the targeted recipients.
- Successfully place mentions, articles and other kinds of coverage of leading stories and people within assigned beats.
- Provide monthly, quarterly and annual reports regarding media pitches, placements, and news releases written.
- Follow media relations and related trends regarding outreach and engagement, with a particular emphasis on new tools and practices that have the potential to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
- Collaborate with colleagues to manage media requests and/or on-campus media presence during crises or other high-profile developments on campus.
- Participate in a collegial, mutually supportive environment of communications professionals who share lessons, insights and best practices with regard to developing and placing stories. Help one another when one team member or another has a breaking or developing story that requires more resources than a single individual can provide.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience: 6 to 8 years of experience in journalism, communications, public relations or related field, preferably in higher education.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor's degree required; prefer concentration in journalism, public relations or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Deep curiosity and enthusiasm for learning across a broad range of subjects.
- Ability to engage others, develop relationships and inspire confidence as a media relations professional (both with internal and external constituencies).
- Capacity to manage multiple priorities simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Understanding of and comfort with the rapidly changing nature of media relations, .e.g. the day’s planned schedule can change multiple times during the course of a day based on news and other developments.
- Passion and talent for identifying and writing compelling stories.
- Ability to meet deadlines regularly.
- Appreciation of the benefits of working with a close-knit team and desire to contribute to its success.
- Commitment to ongoing development of professional skills. Proficiency with word processing and web software.
- Computer proficiency (including Microsoft Office) and the ability to learn new programs.
Information to apply
Learn more about the position and apply now at case.edu/finadmin/humres/employment/career.html.