Web Developer - William & Mary
|Company Name||William & Mary|
|Date Posted||April 21, 2017|
This position serves as a programmer, user interface designer and consultant for web-based communications and marketing projects and systems. This position is primarily a technical resource for the University Web & Design team, contributing to the design, development and integration of web applications and tools for William & Mary.
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, educational technology or related field (or an equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Experience working with technical project teams and proven ability to interact effectively with peers, customers and technical resources
- Excellent organizational, consulting and communication (verbal and written) skills, with evidence of on-going professional development and commitment to excellence in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Exceptional customer service skills and effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Superb analytical, problem solving and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of assessment, systems analysis and design techniques
- Knowledge of web tools, scripting languages and software needed to design web applications, systems, and user interfaces and experiences
- Knowledge of database and user interface design, web standards and CSS
- Experience with a variety of desktop-server operating systems (i.e. Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac), software/programming languages (i.e. PHP/Java/ColdFusion) and databases (i.e. MySQL/Oracle/MS SQL Server)
- Knowledge of web standards and information architecture development
- Familiar with common social media APIs (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- Experience with jQuery
- Web development using Cascade Server content management system
- Experience with Git version control system
- Experience with CodeIgniter or other PHP framework
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Google Custom Search Engine
- Building, maintaining and supporting complex dynamic web applications
- Using and/or administering an enterprise web content management system
Conditions of Employment
There is an occasional need for work outside of typical business hours. Some projects are tied to the academic calendar and university events and require work on evenings and weekends.
60% - Web Programming and Development for Communications and Marketing
Participate in the development of web applications to support W&M communication and marketing goals. Program dynamic web applications and modules using accepted protocols, standards and frameworks. Integrate third party, free or open source software and tools into the W&M web presence. Expand and enhance W&M's web presence by integrating social media tools such as Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube. Design and develop database schemas. Consult on usability and the design of user interfaces and related front-end components. Develop CSS and HTML as needed. Develop XML and XSLT for templates, blocks, page layouts and other assets in Cascade Server.
20% - Web Communications and Client Support
Contribute to documentation of web tools and communication about new tools and features. Consult with campus stakeholders to assess project requirements, gather information, explain services to be provided and recommend options.
10% - Web Services Associated with the W&M Web Presence
Identify, assess and gather feedback about the functionality and availability of web services tools and their ability to meet current and projected needs. Research and pursue opportunities to gain knowledge of new web communication tools, standards, products, issues and solutions within the higher education and general web communities. In particular, pursue options to extend and complement functionality within Cascade Server at W&M.
10% - Project Management
Serve as project leader for University Web & Design projects and initiatives. Effectively apply project management principles for successful deployment of new systems and services.